Home

 Columbia's History

 Upcoming Events & Meetings

 Newsletters

 Membership Application

 Historical Shop

 Officers & Board Members

 Pictures

 Contact Us

 Citizen of The Year

 Cemetery Records

 Columbia Block House
 

 

Columbia Township and the Western Reserve

"Mrs. Sally Bronson, in honor of being the first white woman that settled in town,
was accorded the privilege of naming it. She selected that of her native township, "Columbia."
(All quotations are taken from the History of Lorain County published by Williams Brothers, 1879.)


The History of Columbia Township

In 1786, after the conclusion of the American Revolutionary War, the State of Connecticut ceded to the new federal government of the United State those western lands which had been part of its original royal charter, retaining only a portion in present northeastern Ohio. Called the Western Reserve, Connecticut withheld this land as an incentive to their men who signed up to fight the British during the war. The reserve, stretching a120 miles west from the Pennsylvania line, was bounded on the north by Lake Erie and on the south by the forty-first parallel.

In the spring of 1807, a group of men from Waterbury, Connecticut pooled their funds and formed the Waterbury Land Company in order to participate in a complicated lottery to purchase an entire township in the Western Reserve. On April 4, 1807, they drew, by lot, the future "Columbia Township" southwest of Cleveland.


Next Page






Like us on Facebook!



 

We are looking for any information on the War of 1812.
If you have any ephemera that might be of interest please Contact Us