Columbia in the War of 1812
From the Williams Bros. History of Lorain County
A company of Militia was formed of men from the Townships of Columbia,
Ridgeville, Eaton and Middleburg in 1810. Captain Hoadley’s commission was signed by
Gov. Samuel Huntington, on October 25, 1810
1812 – Jonathan & Richard Vaughan and E. Hickox entered the service of the government
and aided in cutting a road from Sandusky to Maumee. There were 300 men working on the road and were
under the protection of the Military. Later J. Vaughan was stationed at Fort Stephenson.
Aug. 1812 – Hull surrendered at Detroit. The township residents of Columbia, Ridgeville, & Eaton
heard that a large party of men – ragged & dirty had landed at Huron. Thinking them to be British
and Indian people gathered up belongings and fled toward Hudson then under the protection of Jen.
Wadsworth stationed at “Old Portage”.
Levi Bronson went to Cleveland for more information. There he found that the ragged men were
Hulls paroled soldiers. He found the fleeing party and they returned home.
After their return Capt. Hoadley called out the militia. The militia was ordered to Cleveland
but refused to leave their own unprotected. Capt Hoadley was directed to establish a
“Frontier Military Headquarters” in Columbia.
The Blockhouse was begun a short distance south of Copopa on the east side of the river.
It was 35 feet square, 2 stories high. The upper story projected over the lower story by 2 feet,
with a row of port holes in each story.
While it was built the militia occupied the house of Mrs. Azor Bronson near by.
The fort was garrisoned for about 3 months. The company was furnished by the U. S. Government with
new rifles. About half of the company afterward became substitutes for drafted men and served under
After the war Samuel Potter taught school in the Block house for one year.
Columbia Blockhouse - War of 1812
Columbia Blockhouse - 2013